früher bekannt als Madras ist die Hauptstadt des Tamil Nadu Staat und
ist die viertgrößte Metro-Stadt in Indien. Die Stadt wuchs um die
englische Siedlung von Fort Saint George auf und nahm allmählich die
umliegenden Städte und Dörfer auf. Trotz des starken britischen
Einflusses hat Chennai seine traditionelle tamilische Hindu-Kultur
beibehalten und es effektiv mit dem ausländischen Einfluss vermischt.
Die Stadt ist weit verbreitet in etwa 180 qm. Kms Es ist ein wichtiges
Handelszentrum, das durch Straßen, Schiene und Luft mit wichtigen
Städten verbunden ist, außer einem Seehafen. Im Vergleich zu den
anderen großen Metros von Indien ist es weit weniger verstopft und
Kamraj National und Anna
International Flughäfen befinden sich in Tirusulam etwa 20 km von
der Stadt entfernt.
Chennai Bahnhof ist gut
mit allen großen Städten Indiens verbunden.
Chennai ist mit einem
guten Netz von Straßen zu allen nahe gelegenen Städten von Tamil
The Gudiyam Caves are situated about 17 kms. behind Poondi reservoir
in Chennai. Except some adventurous trekkers and the stout villagers,
hardly anyone goes here. The reason is its tough terrain that takes 4
kms. of walk by foot. These prehistoric natural caves are evidence of
the primitive tools that our ancestors had used.
The Elliot beach is a calmer and quieter beach. It is an ideal place
for lazy lounging and picnicking on your travel holidays in Chennai.
The beach is situated near Adayar and the sea is safe for swimming.
Fort St. George and St. Mary's Church
Fort St. George is the first fortress of British power in India and
was built in 1654 and remodeled in 1749. The fort has a six-meter tall
wall that withstood many invasions by Mughals in 1701, Marathas in
1741 and Hyder Ali during the late 18th century. Now the fort is
turned into the Tamil Nadu Legislative Assembly.
The St. Mary church was built in 1678-80 and was the first English
church in Chennai. There are reminders in the church of Robert Clive,
who married here in 1753.
The ancient Kapaleshwar temple, situated in Mylapore, is dedicated to
Lord Shiva. The fragmented inscriptions here dates back to 1250 AD.
But the present temple was rebuilt by Vijayanagar Kings in the 16th
century. The magnificent 37m carved 'Gopuram' of gods, goddesses and
saints depict important 'Puranic' legends.
This popular beach runs for 12 km and is the second longest beach in
the world. The beach drive runs between magnificent stately buildings
like the Chetpauk Palace, University of Madras, Icehouse etc. on one
side and a very wide sandy beach on the other. The aquarium is at the
beginning of the beach, is another important attraction near the
San Thom Cathedral
Built in 1504 and rebuilt in 1608 and 1893, the cathedral is said to
house the remains of Apostle St. Thomas. The basilica has an
tremendously stained glass window and a beautiful one-meter statue of
Virgin Mary that was brought from Portugal in 1543.
Sri Parthasarathy Temple
One of the oldest surviving temples in Chennai, the Sri Parthasarathy
temple was built by the Pallavas in the 8th century, the temple is
dedicated to Lord Krishna. The Vijayanagar rulers renovated it in the
16th century. During the 16th and 17th centuries, this temple was the
scene of many battles and Golconda, Dutch and French occupied the
temple at various times. This is one of the oldest surviving temples
This befitting memorial for the poet-sage Thiruvalluvar, a replica of
the famed temple chariot of 'Thiruvaroor', was built in 1976. The life
size statue of the sage sits in the 33m chariot with 1330 couplets of
Thirukkural inscribed on the panels.
Located at a distance of 40 km from Chennai, Covelong is a refreshing
beach. It is a quiet peaceful village away from the Hustle Bustle of
Chennai. A best weekend travel getaway from the busy city life,
Covelong is famous for its fishing activities.
Anna Zoological Park
This Zoological park is situated on the outskirts of Chennai and is
created out of the Reserve Forests of Vandalur to the west of Chennai.
In 1855 the first Zoo in India was established in Chennai, near the
Central Station. In 1979, this zoo was shifted to the 510-hectare
sprawling location. It presently occupies the slope of a hill. This
Zoological Park is said to be one of the biggest in the South East
Asia. More than 170 species of mammals, birds and reptiles can be seen
here. The lion safari, the elephant ride, and battery-operated
vehicles take you around the park.
hh - heritage hotel ; ph -
palace hotel ; bh - boutique hotel ; gh - guest house ; hs - home stay